Sunday, June 6, 2010

A year in retrospect.

I know I've been a bad little blogger, and I have several things I will post about in the very near future. But for now, I only have one thing I'd like to talk about.

I have a goal in life.

This is a big big deal to me, because life has been on the fritz, and I've been panicking and anxious a lot in the past few days. I've needed reminders that I can't do everything on my own, and that maybe I need to be taking advantage of extra opportunities that I've ignored in the past.

It's incredibly difficult for me to admit this, but ... I've been living in this college town, and I'm not very happy.

The last few years were full of high-reaching goals - pass this class or that class, get experience in my field, graduate college, graduate with a high GPA, move to be with Matt, get a job within my field of study - and I did well. Not meaning to brag. I thrived because I had stuff I wanted, and they were mine. And I did them on my own.

With the exception of my "be done with therapy" goal, I've yet to complete anything since I moved. All of the goals I've set for myself since then have not been manageable, most notably: pay off a good chunk of my student loans before I get married. You already know, I'm in a massive amount of debt from my out-of-state college. And I've always considered it to be MY debt, and I HATED the fact that getting married meant forcing MY "problem" onto someone else to deal with. Even if that someone else wanted to be burdened with it. Because he knows I CAN do it alone, but that I'm miserable trying.

So I've set a goal. It probably won't help much toward aforementioned debt, but it's something I can control and something I can do.

I'm going to start freelancing. I'm going to get five clients by the end of 2010.

This is not me begging for business. I know most of the people who read this have no use for a graphic designer. But I don't have a great way of getting the word out, so if you know anyone who needs any paper goods (brochures, ads, party invitations, wedding invitations, campus flyers, T-shirt designs, maps, ANYTHING), think of me. And if any of you do need anything, I'd be happy to do it for free just for the experience and samples.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, Allie! I'm sorry that you're not happy! I know it's hard, but try looking at the positive and all that you have accomplished up to this point in your life. You're a great daughter, sister, girlfriend/fiancee and I know for SURE that you are a FANTASTIC friend! I miss you :)

Chin up, my friend!

The Julie said...

I support your goal totally!! If I ever get around to that old goal of mine (world domination, etc.) you can design my campaign stuff :-)

You're a wonderful person and an awesome friend to have.

Cheers to finding happiness <3

Stephanie said...

Hey Allie! It's funny that I read this because I'm thinking about doing some writing as well to bring in extra income. Finances are stressing me out as well :-( and if you're ever looking for a change of scenery you can come hang with me for a weekend! Your smelly fiance can come too if he wants :-)