Sunday, June 27, 2010

Tea and Me

I'm reading this book called Three Cups of Tea. Julie, you would really like the premise of this book: "With the first cup of tea, you are a stranger. With the second ... a friend. With the third cup of tea, you are family."

It's about an American mountain climber who stumbled into this remote Pakistani village and learned that they had no school, and children would sit outside and attempt to learn on their own in the dirt. He decided he was going to build them a school, and within a few years, had schools built all over Pakistan. There are many discussions over tea - and it's how he knew he was safe or not safe with various tribes he met.

I'm reminded of my dream to change the world; I have no real plan to do so, just a desire to do SOMETHING, to save SOMEONE, do some good SOMEHOW. I've done absolutely nothing to change the world. I'd like to think that God has a use for me, and it's bigger than I can imagine. But what in the world can I do in a career field in which a former boss once told me that everyone in this industry is basically a whore? (To consumerism, not an actual whore.)

I still want to change the world.

----------


A few things I alluded to before but never got the chance to elaborate on...

Matt and I found a church we love, and joined. I'm glad this is something we get to do together.

We joined the church's summer softball team, Scared Hitless. We've lost every game so far, by A LOT of points, but it's a lot of fun. We've made some good friends. People bring their puppies (er, mainly big dogs, but they're alllllll puppiessssss!) and bring us water and Rice Krispies.

----------


Other Stuff:

I miss vegetables.

Knight and Day was pretty good and entertaining, but Tom Cruise has Crazy Eyes. Poor Katie Holmes.

2 comments:

The Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Julie said...

I'll definitely check in to that book. It is true though- sharing tea is about a lot more than the drink :-)
I'm trying to get back to writing letters. I seem to have taken a few weeks off (although I did write one to you that I never posted). Check your mail in 2 1/2- 3 weeks!