Sunday, February 21, 2010

Mini-Series

(1)

Seems like my sister is always in town when I have exciting stories, right? That's because when I'm by myself, I do things like research, or go grocery shopping on a Saturday night.
R is in town because today there is a big bridal fair, that we will be going to in a little while with my also-recently-engaged friend Jackie. We intend to win lots of free stuff and try lots of free cake, and generally just die at the ridiculous price tags of everything we see.
Anyway, whenever R is in town, she wants to go do stuff, which is good because it keeps me from being a total bore. I already had some stuff planned, so I hauled her along, but I don't think she had a very good time going to book club with me (despite the free cake and Diet Coke). She wanted to go to a martini bar in the bar district, Northgate (the C-Stat version of Campus Corner). Wanting to beat the bar traffic, we went around 9. Turns out, it didn't open 'til 10, so we went over to Jackie's to hang out for an hour, then went back. And it was dead.
Since we had free rein of the bartender, since no one else was around, I ordered a dirty martini, since I'd always wanted to try one. Note to everyone: don't order dirty martinis. Even if you love olives. I do. It was gross. Martini #2! Cherry! Much better! By then, more people had shown up, and started dancing, and people started making out with each other, and R said she was going to fall asleep, so we left and planned to come back next time at a later time (and to take a nap so we can stay up later ... 'cause we're old and lame).

(2)

Matt and I went back to my parents' house for the weekend to do taxes and get our engagement pics taken by my lovely and wonderful former roomie!! (Is there a better way to say former roomie? It doesn't really flow well, and ex-roomie sounds mean.) I can't wait to see how the pictures turned out. We hit up a bunch of places around our hometown: the lake, our high school, a park by the high school, Town Square. It was so much fun! Plus, it was the weekend right after Slake had gotten over a foot of snow, so everything was snowy and icy and beautiful. Take that, everyone else in Texas!!!
After that, I ditched Matt at home (sorry, honey! ^__^) and took my mom, aunt, sister and Julie to go dress shopping. And found the dress. And ordered it. And bought a veil, which I hadn't originally intended, because I'm not really a veil-type of person. But Julie convinced me, and she was right: the dress looks more complete with it. And it's beyoooooooteeeefullllll!!!

(3)

I found out the Harlem Globetrotters were coming to College Station at the beginning of February. Matt and I started watching The Amazing Race last season after Matt found out two of the Globetrotters were competing. He was really excited about it, so I got tickets to go see them. Now, I didn't know that the Globetrotters weren't an NBA team. And I didn't know that there is very little basketball actually played during Globetrotter games. But that didn't really matter (in fact, it was probably more interesting for me since it wasn't real basketball!). It was so much fun! It was corny and funny, and Matt loved it, and there were a lot of really neat basketball tricks.

(4)

I invited some people from my book club over for a Super Bowl party - the first time I've had a bunch of my own friends come over for a party. I am sociable again! There were cupcakes with Super Bowl rings on them! And pizzaaaaaa. After the game, a couple of the girls stuck around to watch Keeping Up With the Kardashians reruns, and just hung out. Yay! I miss hanging out.

(5)

Matt has been meeting with a Realtor, and we have been looking at townhouses. Well, we found one that we love, put in an offer, and it was accepted! Pending inspections, loan attaining, etc., we gots ourselves a house! It's cute. :)

(6)

The other day, I got really mad about the lack of recycling facilities in College Station, and the fact that the recycling facility in the city next door doesn't allow most of the stuff I want to recycle. I mentioned to a co-worker in a rage that I miss Oklahoma. Then he made fun of me for missing Oklahoma, saying "No one in the history of the world has EVER missed Oklahoma!"
Maybe he's right, but I do miss Oklahoma.

No comments: