Saturday, October 10, 2009

It's hilarious that A&M's main goal is hating Texas, even when they're not playing Texas.


Sophomore year of college, I was in a long-distance relationship with a crazy Aggie who went to every football game and every Midnight Yell. When the OU/A&M game rolled around, I planned to go to Kyle Field to see the game with him, and we went to my first Midnight Yell. I had no idea what was going on, knew none of the yells, and I'm pretty sure I thought said boyfriend was insane.

Last night we went to my second Midnight Yell, the first since I've moved here. Matt hadn't been to one in awhile, since it's less convenient now that he doesn't live on campus. We thought we weren't going to be able to get good parking, since we left later than we wanted to (we were watching Dracula, the one where Keanu Reeves pretends he can act. Weird movie). But we got to park right next to the field, luckily, because it was cold outside. (Cold for Texas, that is.) We sat next to a guy who was wearing A&M pajamas and who asked why I didn't know any of the yells even though I was wearing an A&M sweatshirt (not mine ... not giving in yet). "We" sang about hating Texas. We swayed back and forth in a metaphorical "sawing 'em off" (I had just assumed that they liked swaying dramatically while singing, but now I figured out they were supposed to be a giant human saw). "We" yelled "Whoop" a lot. We listened to Yell Leaders make fun of Mike Gundy (okay, I'll whoop for that!). Matt forgot one of the yells, so I teased him and said that even I knew it (no I didn't), and then it just turned out to be them saying "Rah!" a whole bunch of times, so I probably could've figured that one out had I remembered any of the hand gestures. I can get behind them wanting to beat the hell out of OK State, because as a Sooner fan I'm supposed to hate them too.

And then when it was all over, the lights went out and I got my kiss. :)

No comments: