Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I'm RAGE-Y

Before you go any further, READ THIS ARTICLE.

Oklahoma, I am ASHAMED of your government. I am HORRIFIED at the lengths you will go to constrain the beliefs of others.

I don't care whether you approve of abortion or not. It is unconstitutional, discriminatory, illegal and horrific to PERMIT doctors to lie to women about their pregnancies in order to force their beliefs on others. Not only permit, PROTECT them.

It doesn't matter whether the child has birth defects, or is perfectly healthy. Doctors have no right to try to control a woman's rights by giving her false information. Women deserve to be educated on any potential defects so they can be prepared to live with those defects if they choose to continue their pregnancy, and if they choose not to ... well, it's none of the doctors' damn business. The doctors aren't the ones who have to live with the life-changing consequences one way or another.

Another thing that makes me horribly angry is what other provisions this could allow in the future. If a doctor is allowed to lie about the baby's state in order to prevent it from being aborted, are they allowed to lie if the mother's life is in danger because of the baby? Why should a doctor get to decide whether my life is more or less important than my (hypothetical, totally not real, don't be freaking out, people) baby's?

Where is the AMA in all this? This provision surely goes against doctors' Hippocratic oaths. If a doctor is okay with lying to his or her patients, I sure as hell don't want to ever go to that doctor.

1 comment:

The Julie said...

Buuuuhhhh! When did USSR-style politics become acceptable in the USA???
That is horrid!!
I need to go research this.